Welcome, and thank you for taking time to read this page, specifically designed with Parents and Guardians in mind.
My name is John, and I’m an ADI (DVSA Approved Driving Instructor), and the owner of JFM Driving Tuition.
The intention of this page is to hopefully answer some of the questions you may have, regarding the tuition of your loved one. But to also give you the opportunity to be actively involved, and support them on this exciting (but possibly nerve wracking) milestone in their life.
Some of the typical questions, that I have tried to answer are below, however this is not an exhaustive list , so if you have any questions or suggestions on what you like to see please feel free to contact me.
As a Parent, what can I do to help ?
- Private practice.
- Be prepared! Things may have changed since your passed your test.
- Re-familiarise yourself with the Highway code.
- Iron out your own bad habits.
- Be a good example
What will they do on a lesson?
A typical lesson outline would look like this.
- Preparation/Cockpit Drill – Adjusting the Seat/Mirrors etc.
- Risks. – A brief discussion on possible risks (eg: Weather/Time of day)
- Recap. – A brief discussion on what was learned last time.
- Lesson subject. – Agreeing what our goals will be for the lesson.
What are typical lesson subjects?
Some examples would be
- How to set up a car to drive safely/The Cockpit Drill
- Moving off and stopping
- The Reversing Manoeuvres
- Speed Management