What do I need to do before I start learning to drive?
- All you need to know is on our ‘Learning to Drive’ Page.
Do I need a provisional licence to start learning to drive?
- Yes, you will need to have received your Provisional Licence before you can start practical lessons, AND before you can book your Theory test.
*** NOTE – DUE TO COVID RELATED BACKLOGS, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU APPLY FOR YOUR PROVISIONAL LICENCE WELL BEFORE YOU START YOUR SEARCH FOR AN INSTRUCTOR ***
How often should I have Lessons?
Learning to drive is a skill that will last a lifetime, and like most skills it takes practice to master. Try to keep having your lessons on a regular basis, without long gaps in between, so you can build on what you have learned on the previous session. 1 or 2 lessons a week is the ideal, but it’s really about your circumstances and learning style.
How many lessons will it take for me to pass?
Everyone is different and has different strengths. Some may find learning this new skill easier than others. So we will tailor your lessons to fit in with you and your ability each time we go out. To help You pass as quickly as You are able. The DVSA advises that the average person would pass after approx 45 hours of paid tuition, and an additional 22 hours of practice with friends and/or relatives, (*find rules and legal requirements on the link) so try to budget for that. However it is important to stress that this is an average, some may be quicker some a bit slower. So try not to compare yourself with it, and together we will concentrate on making you the safest and most confident driver you can be, and we will decide when you are ready together.
Should I have Private Lessons as well?
- Yes – In fact it is encouraged, after all practice is the only way you will learn. But remember that friends and/or relatives can also teach bad habits, or not know the latest rules and regulations, so it is advised to use them in conjunction with Professional Driving Lessons. (*find rules and legal requirements on the link).
- Try to avoid subjects that you haven’t covered on your Professional Lessons.
Do I need to have passed my Theory test to start Driving Lessons?
No – In fact many people start lessons before they pass their Theory test. You do however have to pass you Theory Test BEFORE you can book your Practical Test so bare it in mind, and try not to leave it too long. You wouldn’t want to be ready for your practical and still having to pass your Theory Test.
Would you help me pass my Theory Test?
Yes absolutely, it’s all part of our commitment to you. We offer free access to ‘Theory Test pro’, an on-line study tool, and offer any help and guidance you might need to help you pass the Theory test quickly. Including advice on revision materials and techniques, and how to book your Theory test.
How long will my lesson be?
- That depends on you, and how long you would prefer. Initially you may find an hour sufficient, and as much as you can cope with. As you progress you may find you want to increase it to 1 1/2 hours or 2 hours. We have a pricing structure for all preferences. It’s all about you and your choice, there is no right or wrong, but you’ll always be offered guidance should you so wish it, tailored to your individual needs.
Can I be collected and dropped of anywhere?
- Yes, within reason, if you want collecting from home and dropping off at work, for example, or vice versa, that’s fine. We just ask you make sure that you advise us of any changes sufficiently in advance.